The 2002-2006 Altima (L31) uses a new drum-in-disk type rear parking brake. This type of parking brake system has two adjustments;
- The cable can be adjusted at the parking brake lever and
- the shoes which are adjusted at the rear drum.
1. Fully engage the control lever.
2. Loosen the parking brake cable adjusting nut and fully release the control lever.
3. Adjust clearance of the rear parking brake shoes.
a. Make sure the parking brake control lever is fully released and parking brake cable adjusting nut is loosened.
b. Remove the adjuster hole plug installed on the rotor. Using a screwdriver, turn the adjuster as shown in the figure until the rotor is locked. After locking, turn the adjuster in the opposite direction 5 or 6 notches.
c. Rotate the rotor as shown to make sure that there is no drag. Install the adjuster hole plug.
4. Depress the brake pedal fully more than five times.
5. Make sure that no drag exists while rotating the rear wheels. Operate control lever 10 times or more with a full stroke [216 mm (8.5 in)].
6. Adjust control lever by turning adjusting nut.
7.. Pull control lever with specified amount of force. Check control lever stroke and ensure smooth operation.
Lever stroke (number of notches) : 7 - 8 Force : 196 N (20 kgf,
8. After adjustment, check the following points.
There is no drag when control lever is being released.
Toggle lever returns to stopper when parking brake lever is released.