1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
2. Remove the right front (passenger side, front) Tire/Wheel.
3. Remove the Engine Side Cover (passenger side, front)
4. Remove the Lower Engine Undercover
5. Remove the Alternator / AC Compressor Belt - Instructions here: Drive Belts Replacement Procedure
6. Remove the Idler Pulley Lock Nut, and then remove the Idler Pulley
7. Disconnect the A/C Compressor Harness Connector
8. Remove the alternator "Through Bolt Nut" and Through Bolt
9. Reach up between the Exhaust Manifold and A/C Compressor with a pair of Long-Handle Needle Nose Pliers and remove the Through Bolt and lower the vehicle on the hoist.
10. Remove the Battery from the vehicle.
11. Re-position the Battery Tray as follows:
a. Remove five Bolts that secure the Battery Tray to the vehicle.
b. Re-position the Battery Tray to make room for removing the Cooling Fan Assembly (covered later in this procedure).
CAUTION: Make sure the vehicles cooling system is completely cooled down before performing the next step.
12. Disconnect the Upper Radiator Hose from the Radiator as follows:
a. Carefully remove the Radiator Cap.
b. To avoid spilling, remove all of the coolant from the radiator upper tank.
- Remove the drain plug at the radiator lower tank.
- Drain and "capture" enough coolant to drop the level below the upper tank.
NOTE: The O-Ring on the Drain Plug will have to be replaced. The O-Ring P/N is: 21481-18000.
c. After the upper tank is empty, disconnect the Upper Radiator Hose from the Radiator
13. Remove the Cooling Fan Assembly as follows:
a. Disconnect the Vehicle Wire Harness from the Fan Assembly
b. Remove two Screws that secure the top of the Fan Assembly.
c. Carefully remove the Fan Assembly by lifting it UP and towards the driver's side of the vehicle.
- Make sure you remove the A/T Fluid Hose from the Clip at the bottom of the Fan Assembly.
14. Remove the Bolts that hold the Upper and Lower Exhaust Manifold/Catalyst Heat Shields. Then, remove the shields.
- Removing the Heat Shields will provide the clearance needed for removing the Alternator.
15. Disconnect the Alternator Harness Connector
16. Place a piece of cardboard against the inside face of the Radiator to protect it when removing the Alternator
17. Remove the Alternator Upper Mounting Bolt. Then remove the Alternator by carefully moving it between the Exhaust Manifold/Catalyst and Radiator towards the Battery tray.
18. Install the new Alternator in the reverse order of removal, making sure:
- The "B" Terminal Nut is carefully tightened to 10.1 N-m (1.0 kg-m, 7 ft-lb).
- The belt tension is properly adjusted.
19. Properly fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Use essential tool J-45695 "Coolant Refill Tool". Refer to NTB02-011a for more information about this tool.